I alway burn bacon on the stovetop. It also splatters hot grease everywhere, which is not ideal with a child running around at your feet. So I found this awesome way to cook bacon that is super easy and less messy.
1. Place bacon on cookie sheet. (you can line the cookie sheet with foil for easier cleanup.) Make sure it’s a cookie sheet with edges; otherwise you’ll have a grease running off the edge.
2. Place the cookie sheet in a cold oven. (I love this part; you waste less energy because you don’t have to wait for the oven to preheat to get started!)
3. Turn the oven to 400 degrees.
4. Walk away.
5. At about the 17-20 minute mark, come back. It will be in the done zone, but you can leave it in until it hits your desired doneness. It will be golden-brown, but not too crispy. Basically perfect, from my point of view.
6. Transfer bacon to a paper towel to drain off a bit of the grease (I blot a little on top too), and dispose of the excess drippings as per your usual preference.
(by the way, this is the first useful thing I’ve found on about.com in years!)